Monday, March 21, 2011

An Act of God

When it comes to natural disasters, I think God tends to get a bad rap.

For example, I heard that the Japanese tragedy is...

"An act of God!"

It's really easy to get the idea that God was quite definitely PISSED with those poor Japanese people.

Maybe it is because I missed the whole flannelgraph stories stage in my christian life. Maybe I feel like I missed out a bit, and I'm trying to make up for something, but I often play back biblical accounts much like I would to a child. Maybe it is because I am still very much a child. Who knows, but here is a glimpse inside my mind.

1 Kings 19: 9-18

A long time ago there was a man named Elijah. He was a good man, and he was faithful to God. He tried very hard to tell the people to obey God, but they wouldn't listen. In fact, the people were tired of hearing Elijah talk about God, and they wanted to kill him! Elijah felt very alone, and he was worried. He was afraid for his life! Elijah went to a mountain to talk with God about what to do.

When Elijah got to the mountain, great and mighty winds began to blow. Elijah listened for the voice of God in the wind, but God wasn't in the wind.

Then there was an earthquake! The ground shook, and Elijah trembled. Elijah listened for the voice of God in the earthquake, but God wasn't in the earthquake.

Then Elijah saw a fire! It had flames that reached to the sky. Elijah listened for the voice of God in the fire, but God wasn't in the fire.

Then Elijah heard a whisper. Elijah stood very still. He knew it was the voice of God. Elijah listened very carefully. God told Elijah not to worry and not to be afraid. God promised Elijah that he would take care of him.
The End!

I have found that the Lord very rarely (if ever) acts the way I want, or expect him to. In retrospect, he shows up the way I needed him to.

Although brilliantly powerful, God's ways seem to be the simplest and most natural. He is the Lord of Lords, the king of kings, and a gentleman among gentlemen. Always pursuing the least and never one to force himself upon anyone.

But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty. 1 Corinthians 1:27 (good ol' King James Version)

But once again, I am getting off track.

My point is, can we begin to call a child's birth, "An act of God?" 

or, possibly a new job, "An act of God?"

or, a new blossom, "An Act of God?"

or, a rainbow, a coffee date with a good friend, or the very breath in your lungs, "An act of God?"

This mission is not much unlike the one I am currently on with YTD, but for your own sake, this week, choose to see the acts of God in your own life.

Let me help you get started...

This one is going out to Uganda (Kelly).

:)

Behold, an act of God.



~Daniel

1 comment:

  1. Dan you've shown me the joyful Light in the darkness of my current world. Thank you for reminding me of where the King truly is!

    ReplyDelete