Sunday, March 27, 2011

Tiger's Blood and Boasting

In light of today's topic, I have to be honest.

During the course of my day at work, I can get really tired of dealing with people's problems.

It's not that I don't like taking care of people. It's generally the lack of respect that one (like myself) in the customer service industry usually gets.

And when you are treated like dirt long enough, you can begin to feel like dirt if you're not careful.

That being said, I must be very intentional with who I spend time with when I am not at work. If I don't, I get really grumpy. Kinda like this little guy.

But, sometimes I get surprises!

Pleasant surprises that I can only thank God for.

A couple of weeks ago, I had one such pleasant surprise.

It was in the form of an unforeseen encounter with an acquaintance I hadn't talked with in just under two years.

We traded stories about the last couple years like old friends do, and I left the chat with an extra bounce in my step. At first, I dismissed it as good ol' nostalgia. I didn't think about it twice. Then a week went by, and it was still giving me a moment of Joy in the midst of grieving cell phone people!

What is it about transparency that I am a sucker for?

Let me explain...

When I asked my friend (my pleasant surprise) what her last couple years looked like, she honestly let me have it.

Long story short, things were hard, things were confusing, things were depressing, and then Love entered the building, and although she is still broken, her heart is in the midst of a great awakening.

No pretense, no cover, and absolutely no masquerade.

It brought context to a verse that I have held close to my heart for a long time.

I know a man (Paul is speaking about himself in the third person) who, fourteen years ago, was seized by Christ and swept in ecstasy to the heights of heaven. I really don't know if this took place in the body or out of it; only God knows. I also know that this man was hijacked into paradise—again, whether in or out of the body, I don't know; God knows. There he heard the unspeakable spoken, but was forbidden to tell what he heard. This is the man I want to talk about. But about myself, I'm not saying another word apart from the humiliations.If I had a mind to brag a little, I could probably do it without looking ridiculous, and I'd still be speaking plain truth all the way. But I'll spare you. I don't want anyone imagining me as anything other than the fool you'd encounter if you saw me on the street or heard me talk.

Because of the extravagance of those revelations, and so I wouldn't get a big head, I was given the gift of a handicap to keep me in constant touch with my limitations. Satan's angel did his best to get me down; what he in fact did was push me to my knees. No danger then of walking around high and mighty! At first I didn't think of it as a gift, and begged God to remove it. Three times I did that, and then he told me,

   My grace is enough; it's all you need.

   My strength comes into its own in your weakness.

Once I heard that, I was glad to let it happen. I quit focusing on the handicap and began appreciating the gift. It was a case of Christ's strength moving in on my weakness. Now I take limitations in stride, and with good cheer, these limitations that cut me down to size—abuse, accidents, opposition, bad breaks. I just let Christ take over! And so the weaker I get, the stronger I become. 2 Corinthians: 2-10 (The Message)


In my NIV Translation of the Bible it puts Paul's words in verse 9 this way:

But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me. 

I've always wondered what Paul was talking about when he said "boast."

Well, I actually suppose he said "καυχάομαι" pronounced kau-hal-mai which is Greek for "to glory in a thing with or without a reason.'

But, what are you saying Paul?

For the longest time I thought Paul had a bit of a Mr. Charlie "I have tiger's blood" Sheen in him when it came to his weakness. Going on every talk show talking to ever single person who would have him, and just being a tad obnoxious. 

I would say to Paul: Seriously Paul? I know you think you're weak but seriously... You're Paul. You are no longer Saul the murderer. You are writing the bible by the direct revelation of God, and laying the evangelistic foundation for generations of believers to come. I am Dan. You want weakness? Look deep into Dan. Go hang out with Charlie Sheen and get out of my face and off my radio about your weakness.

Through my pleasant surprise, God gave me a new definition. One which I feel is far more contextually accurate. I think the kind of boasting Paul is talking about is the kind of transparency that my friend exhibited.

A kind of boasting that goes: I have issues, you have issues, we all have issues, so let's not waste time, get over them, and on to what's important: Grace.

So did this week include an appropriate Youtube video? No.

Would I call my encounter with my friend a "secular experience?" No.

But I threw in an obnoxiously cute puppy, Grace is awesome, and I figured you would understand.

So, what are you waiting for? 

Go forth in confidence that by the blood of Christ you are a beloved child of God, and boast in your weakness!

Just leave the tiger's blood behind. Okay?

~Daniel


1 comment: