Sunday, February 13, 2011

To Move While Supporting

"In all their distress he too was distressed, and the angel of his presence saved them. In his love and mercy he redeemed them; he lifted them up and carried them all the days of old." Isaiah 63:9

Maybe saying I was going to post every Sunday morning was overly optimistic. I was outside of Internet-land most of today, so I'll keep the one week commitment, and focus on getting it done by Monday evening..

As I was brainstorming different ideas this week, this one was not my initial first choice. I want this blog to be diverse in its content, and this video bares several parallels to the video last week.

That being said, I obviously got over my hang ups.

1,032 races. 68 Marathons (26.2 mile run). 6 Ironman's (2.4 mile swim, 112 mile bike ride, and 26.2 miles run all done without a break). All done by a father who chose to carry his son rather then watch him rot away in an institution. If you're a cynic (like me) please don't devalue this as the father's effort to get famous.

In the spring of 1977, Rick told his father that he wanted to participate in a 5-mile benefit run for a Lacrosse player who had been paralyzed in an accident. Far from being a long-distance runner, Dick agreed to push Rick in his wheelchair and they finished all 5 miles, coming in next to last. That night, Rick told his father, "Dad, when I'm running, it feels like I'm not handicapped." - teamhoyt.com

While keeping an eye out for his fingerprints this week (still a very inorganic effort), I caught a saying that I am all too familiar with. It struck me as just plain backwards, and I hope you can see the connection with the attached video.


"God only helps those who help themselves."

False.

Consider the verse above that states that it is by "his love and mercy he redeemed them." What a relief to know that God has never stepped in and saved someone because he was  impressed with them or their effort.

May I suggest that God helps the helpless, carries the destitute, and redeems the rejected?

I can offer myself as proof.

No comments:

Post a Comment